Search This Blog

Tuesday 19 January 2016

A not-so-typical Tuesday



It’s a Tuesday evening and I have finally settled at home, in a warm house in the outskirts of Kibera, as in Langata. It has been a trying day this one, with some uncertainty at work, some low self esteem thrown around and the occasional, why do I feel so fat feelings; a typical Tuesday, for now. 

I navigate through the duties of the day and make progress in certain areas of my work load while failing in one important part, but choose to focus on improving and exerting better output. I learn a lot too because someone reminded me that the mind is a muscle; a geek who I put up with once a week who actually has a sense of humor (ahem.). I’m surrounded by geeks by the way and sometimes I struggle, coz my memory is for shit, forgive my French. It is the way I’m designed; that I only retain what is relevant to me, what affects me. But it makes me look bad, especially in conversations with said geeks. Therefore, I am exercising my mind; learning more, doing one or two IQ tests here and there; trying to fit in. Sigh. 

So when I’m done at the office, I remember my kid sis lost some books during her time as a very playful primary school student and now she has to clear and return the books she ‘lost.’ And she has no remorse this one, with expectations that can drive you crazy; ‘I can’t find them, si we just buy others!’ Zero remorse. This one thinks money grows on trees and that we have many trees so we have lots of random cash to spend in January . Smh. So I hustle against impolite and hasty Kenyans who are struggling to get to their respective bus stations before their  super long queues start to form. I finally make it to river road, because I know people in those bookshops huko chini, and then I only get one book out of the four I need to purchase. Such luck!

So I take my sorry ass to my respective stage and grab a Rasasi before the line of eager Kenyans form those tiring queues. And it was really cold. So I settle in, and my routine kicks off. I listen to music up until the mat gets to Uhuru Highway and then I progress through my schedule. Check whether super writer Biko Zulu has penned down another awesome piece; oh, that writing does things to me. The descriptive words, how he presents a scene and you feel like you were right there with him. And it inspires you, to live a life of purpose and pen it down in vocabulary that you rarely use. Anywho, once that’s done, I go to my e books and decide what to read for the next 20 or so minutes during the slow but moving traffic. Today, I was reading Purple Hibiscus by Chimamanda Adichie, imagine, 15000 years later, occasionally looking out of the window to ponder on the ups and downs of my so called life. That’s another descriptive one, Chimamanda , and I enjoyed the read.

As we passed the House of Grace Church next to T Mall, I looked on it with guilt, it was 7:18 pm. Normally on Tuesdays we have a prayer service that I always promise myself I will attend, because I desperately need the prayer s and because I love God. But I didn’t alight at the Madaraka stage and I whispered another apology to God, if He recorded those, they would be a dime a dozen. Did I use that right? Do people still say that? 

So finally I get home and I’m happy. I thank God for another safe trip home, never take that for granted. The noise from the little sister who believes she should go to a private, IG, mixed day school and the side way glance from my loving mother once again welcomes me home. Aaaah, yes, a cup of tea to welcome the part bread-winner, hehehe. I settle in and try to finish the Purple Hibiscus chapter I was reading.

Shortly, the exercise gods remind me that I made a commitment to look hot (ahem) this year and I decide to finally take that step. If I can do Jane Mukami’s 10 day detox, I can certainly and painfully make it through Focus T25. Heh. 25 minutes of intense cardio for day 1, to prepare the body I guess for a month of Oh-My-God-when-can-I-get-over-with-this-and-get-a-sexy-body. For this, I will need prayers as well.

Boy did I sweat. Obviously, I tried to look sexy like the ladies in the video as the hot instructor barked orders to raise those knees, above the waist and suck in that tummy, while clinching your butt. Sema sweat! But I pulled through and managed a cold shower right after, feeling like I had conquered the world. It even inspired me to write about my day even as I work towards improving myself.

So there you have it, a not so typical Tuesday. The occasional hilarious whatsapp conversation with the sister and the friend that had me in tears, also made for a fantastic evening; that convo will make for a very good blog post, just you wait. *rubs hands together*

So how was your day?

3 comments:

  1. Bwahahahahahahahahaha! This is hilarious! Such an active day you had there. You should do more stories for us. 350 words lakini :) Good stuff on T25! It is worth it, trust me! Plus healthy diet :) The convo was hella hilarious and very interesting. We should have more of those. Looking forward to the next post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome piece of writing there

    ReplyDelete